Friday, February 22, 2013

Starting Something New!

It must be winter, I am dragging out all my colourful fabric.  It is the time of year that I crave colour.  Last week  I helped a handful of customers pick fabrics for quilts  and they all were quite bright.  I thought that would have cured my colour craving.  Well I came home and hauled out my Kaffe Fassett stash and started organizing it.

Kaffe Fassett Fabric
      I thought it would make a great log cabin quilt.  As you can see my pile at the back is all of the Kaffe Fassett lights that I own.  So I will have to cut up a lot of it.  I am starting WITHOUT A PLAN.   Just piece together a bunch of blocks and see where it takes me.  Once I got a few blocks done I had to lay them out.  The red blocks were so bright,  I just love them.

Red Block

Blue Block
 


Green Block

Lovvve the blue blocks as well.  The green blocks are a little bazaar.  I have a funny combination of green fabrics.  We'll see, hopefully they will work.  Then I decided to mix them all up.  Wasn't fond of that combination.


Multi-Coloured Block
I have these large mirrors by Jan Krentz.  http://jankrentz.com/store.php?cat=8.  They are fantastic!They allow you to get an idea of what your blocks will look like in multiples.

Jan Krentz Mirrors
 
Red Blocks
Multi Colour Blocks
The first layout was a little boring.  I thought the red wasn't as noticeable in the border and it was my favorite of the blocks,


First Layout

I like the second layout better.  I will have to make more blocks for this one, and the green looks okay.


Second Layout
I think I will finish up the blocks and try a few other layouts before I make my final decision.
 Back to the sewing machine. Thanks for stopping by.

 
 


4 comments:

Seams French said...

What pretty patterns and colours in the fabrics. I love spending time refamiliarizing myself with my stash as well. Bravo to you for taking the inspiration a step further and actually making a quilt from it. Unfortunately, my reorganization often only leads to a tidier cupboard.

Your quilt will be beautiful as well.
Thanks for the reminder of those Jan Krentz mirrors. I'm going to have to get some of those.

fiberchick said...

There must be something in the water. I'm starting a log cabin quilt too and when my Japanese mag came today it is filled with them... I love your blocks! They are yummy!

Deb said...

They look awesome Jeannie! Love the fabrics and I can`t believe how much you have done already! This will be a very fun and spectacular quilt!

Heather said...

I hope you went with the second layout. Much for exciting than the first.